If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sometimes, a classic deserves a slight deviation just to mix things up a bit. These lamb burgers are a Sunday night staple in our house, typically served with 99 different condiment options to customize every bite. This recipe is anything but traditional. Make it yours, y'all. —kostuart
Serves 4 (or 2 hungry adults)
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 tablespoons za'atar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (maldon smoked sea salt, if you've got it)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons crumbled feta
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 4 stackable bread items (buns, rolls, bread - whatever you prefer)
- Take your rings off, set aside and use your hands to mix all non-bread ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Chase your significant other around the house, threatening to rub your Garlicky Lamb Hands on his/her face.
- Wash hands and refrigerate the mixture while you a) prep any preferred sides (sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, sliced onions, etc.) or b) just watch some Sunday night True Blood and complain about how it's not as good as it used to be. Let meat sit for 20+ minutes.
- Pull out the meat and quarter the mixture, shaping each quarter into a patty. Press your thumb about 1/4" into the center of each patty, creating an indention.
- Grill (on a grill or in a pan) on medium-high heat for 7 minutes total, flipping patties at the 3.5 minute mark. Remove from heat and let rest for 4 minutes on a cutting board while the meat finishes cooking and settling internally.
- If using bread, now's your chance to toast it. Baste the bun bottoms with a bit of the pan juices (if reserved, olive oil or butter will work if not), then toast 'em up over the heat until slightly browned and crispy.
- Apologize to your significant other for the aforementioned Garlicky Lamb Hands threat by presenting him/her with 2 lamb feta-burgers, including customizable toppers and condiments. If you're a child after my own heart, you might add even more feta as a topper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Burger Recipe