This recipe is a modification from a recipe found in Self magazine. I have added a little liquid smoke to make the burger more wing like and changed how the ingredients are cooked and added for ease. The great thing is that my nieces and nephews like the burgers and get their veggies without compliant. These are also a firehouse staple for the crew I work with.
This recipe is a modification from a recipe found in Self magazine. I have added a little liquid smoke to make the burger more wing like and changed how the ingredients are cooked and added for ease. The great thing is that my nieces and nephews like the burgers and get their veggies without compliant. These are also a firehouse staple for the crew I work with.—josh smith
pound Ground Chicken or Turkey
ounces Crumbled Blue Cheese
Carrots, peeled and finely diced, shound be between a 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup
Celery Stalks, finely diced, sould between 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup, I prefer the light colored heart stalks with the leaves
High quality Buffalo Suace
Home-made, I add by the handful, about 1- 1.5 cups plus some for coating burgers
High Qualty Hamburger Buns
tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Dice the carrots and soften slightly by placing them in a microwave bowl and adding a little water, cover and steam the carrots under high power. I have also used left over carrot puree from my infant food that the lid refused to eat, works but not as good for the texture of the burger
- Once the carrots have cooled enough to handle mix them in a larger bowl with the chicken, celery, blue cheese, Egg, and Buffalo Sauce (Add to taste, more the spicier) Add a couple of dashes of Liquid Smoke. If you want to really spice it up add a couple dashes of hot sauce like habanero or Louisiana hot sauce.
- Add breadcrumbs to by the handful until the chicken mixture can hold and form a burger. Mix breadcrumbs in well.
- Warm a large cast-iron or other large oven proof skillet over medium high heat.
- Put remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl, and press the burgers into the breadcrumbs turnover and repeat.
- Place the burgers in the hot skillet with a little oil and brown, 1-2 minutes until a nice color forms. Flip the burgers when brown and place in the oven until done, internal temp should be 165F. (I tend to remove at 155-160, cover and let rise for five minutes until 165.)
- Place burgers on buns, spread a little more buffalo sauce on the burgers and serve with the dressing on the side so each person can choose the amount of dressing they want.