Author Notes: sweet biscotti made with blue cornmeal, studded with dried currants and raw sunflower seeds —Molly Damon
Makes: roughly 24 cookies
cups All purpose flour
cups Blue cornmeal
cup Granulated sugar
tablespoons Melted butter
teaspoon Baking soda
teaspoon Lemon extract (or vanilla, almond, etc)
tablespoons Coconut oil (or canola, olive oil, etc)
cups Dried currants
cups Raw sunflower seeds
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs and extract.
- Make a well in your dry ingredients and add the eggs. Stir to combine.
- Add melted butter and oil as needed to form a ball of dough.
- Add in dried fruit and seeds, distributing thoroughly throughout your dough.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Lightly flour a clean, dry surface and gently work your dough into a long rectangle, approx. 12 in x 2 in
- Transfer dough to baking sheet and bake about 20 min or so until just starting to brown around the edges and firm up on the top.
- Cool nearly completely, or until easy to handle without falling apart.
- Using a bread knife or other sharp knife, gently saw through the biscotti log starting at one of the short ends, making 1/2 in pieces.
- Place biscotti on parchment lined baking sheet and bake 10-15 min on each side or until firm and nicely browned.
- Enjoy with strong coffee, tea or maybe a glass of almond milk!
- Cookies will keep for two weeks in an airtight container.