If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Training to become a sushi chef can take up to 43,800 hours. Making this delicious Sushi Salad of brown rice, marinated tofu, avocado and edamame, all tossed in a ginger wasabi dressing will take you less than 1 hour. We don't know about you, but we aren't going to roll our sushi...we're going to bowl it. —bitememore
Marinated Tofu & Brown Rice
- 12oz (350g) firm tofu, pressed dry between layers of paper towel and cut into 3/4-inch thick strips
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1½ cups short grain brown rice
- 2¾ cups water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
Ginger Wasabi Dressing
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 small English cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup shelled frozen edamame, thawed and drained well
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 nori sheet, cut into thin strips
- Place tofu in a medium bowl and toss with soy sauce, mirin, ginger and sesame oil. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- For the rice, in a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Combine rice and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over low heat for 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let steam covered for 5 minutes. Spread rice on a baking sheet. In a small bowl whisk rice vinegar, sugar and soy sauce sprinkle vinegar mixture over the rice let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place tofu in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes, turn tofu and continue to bake 5 minutes more until golden. Remove from oven and set aside.
- For the Ginger Wasabi dressing, using a blender, combine rice vinegar, mayonnaise, peanut oil, soy sauce, wasabi paste, honey and ginger until well combined.
- To assemble salad, using 6 individual serving bowls, place rice in the bottom of each. Add tofu, cucumber, carrots, edamame and avocado. Generously drizzle each bowl with dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds and nori strips to garnish.