Author Notes: This recipe and these grilling techniques will serve you well all summer long. I often make lamb burgers for easy entertaining. They’re tasty, casual, fun and offer a little twist to a normal burger dinner. —eat-drink-garden
Makes: 6 burgers
pounds ground lamb
beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
pieces Bibb lettuce
Kosher salt & Pepper to taste
- Form the lamb patties~ When it comes to meat — I don’t mess around. Make three burgers out of each pound of ground meat. It might seem like a lot, but the burgers do shrink while you cook ‘em.
- Salt & Pepper the patties
- On your grill, turn two burners on high.
- Put the patty on one of the hot burners and sear it a few minutes.
- Flip the patty over to the other burner, immediately turn that burner off (the one that you flipped it to) and close the lid.
- Continue to cook for a few minutes with the lid closed.
- Leaving the first burner on allows the heat to sear the patty and keep the center pink.
- While your burgers are cooking, cut the top third off each pita and open it to create a pocket. Slide it in your toaster and toast. This makes the outside crunchy but the inside soft.
- Prepare a plate of tomatoes, lettuce and avocado for toppings.
- Spread each pita with mayonnaise and dijon.
- Place patties in grilled pita and stuff with toppings.