If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: to me - my mom's version of baked beans are the best I've ever tasted...but that's just my opinion, lol —Jen Smallwood
- 1 pound Navy or Great Northern Beans
- 3 - 5 Strips Thick Cut Smoked Bacon, cut into 1/2 pieces
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dry Mustard
- 2 - 3 cups Apple Cider
- 1/2 cup Cider Vinegar
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 sprigs Thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 additional strips Smoked Bacon
- Bring beans and 3 quarts hot water to a boil; continue to boil for 2 minutes. Let sit at least 1 hour, but it is best to allow beans to soak in the pot overnight. Cook the bacon for 5 minutes in a 3 to 4-quart pot. Add onion, garlic and ginger, and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add drained beans and next 10 ingredients (molasses through allspice). Bring to a simmer. Add salt and pepper and mix well. Cover with remaining bacon. Bake in a 300-degree oven for 5 to 6 hours or until beans are very tender. If necessary, add additional cider during cooking to keep beans covered. When cooked, remove thyme sprigs and bay leaves, correct seasonings and serve.