If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Love Ginger?! This vegan cupcake recipe has ginger-infused vodka, ground ginger, and crystallized ginger! www.morselsandmoonshine.com —Aileen Metcalf
Makes 9 large cupcakes
- 2 cups organic whole wheat pastry flour, like Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 packets chai tea bags
- 1/2 cup ginger-infused vodka
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (palm sugar)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup organic non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, like Spectrum
- 1 cup powdered sugar (vegan), and more as needed
- pinches ginger, ground
- 1 packet lemon tea bag
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- splashes almond milk
- 9 pieces Crystallized or candied ginger, for cake topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a muffin pan with parchment cups.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and chai tea. (If you are using actual tea bags, snip them open and pour out the tea.) Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla. Add the almond milk and ginger-infused vodka until ingredients are incorporated. (It will be pretty soupy.)
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl.
- Using a ¼ cup as a scooper, scoop the batter into the cupcake liners. Fill them almost 2/3 full. (I like bigger tea cakes, so I filled them a little higher. My recipe yielded 9 larger tea cakes.)
- Bake the tea cakes for about 20 minutes. Insert a toothpick and make sure it comes out clean. Place on a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
- for the icing, cream the shortening, ginger, lemon tea leaves, and vanilla. While mixing, slowly add the powdered sugar until you reach a stiffer consistency. If it gets too stiff, add some almond milk to the mixture.
- Once you are done mixing and everything is incorporated, scoop the icing into a piping bag (or a sandwich bag if that’s all you have.) Ice the cupcakes and top with crystallized ginger.