Author Notes: Vanilla is one of those flavors that has a fundamental presence in the homes of bakers. And when making vanilla essence is this easy, why aren’t we all doing it? While you’re at it, go and pick some lavender (or pick some up from the market), dry it out, and have yourself some delicious lavender essence for cookies and cakes, too. —Trisha Jones
Makes: one 1/2 liter bottle
vanilla pods or 3 handfuls of dried lavender
- Add the vanilla or dried lavender to a clean 1/2 liter bottle or jar, then add the vodka.
- Mix the bottle by inverting it a couple of times.
- Seal the bottle or jar and keep in a cool place for 1 to 2 months.
- Use your homemade extracts in all of your baking endeavors.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!