Author Notes: This recipe is a copycat-ish version of a starter they serve at Mattei’s Tavern. It’s a great summer recipe because it’s healthy, it’s fresh and it’s delicious. Mattei’s serves this with fresh wasabi; if you have access to those kinds of riches then please, please share the wealth over my way. —eat-drink-garden
avocados, semi-firm, and sliced in half.
tablespoon Tamari Lite
teaspoon rice wine vinegar (unseasoned)
teaspoons fresh lime juice
Fresh horseradish root, grated
- Fire up a grill pan, indoor grill or outdoor BBQ to medium-high heat.
- Mix the tamari, rice wine vinegar and lime juice in a small bowl.
- Place the avocados on the hot grill pan and grill flesh side down for three minutes, then rotate 90 degrees and grill another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place grilled avocado on platter or plate (I set them on a little bed of arugula to help them from sliding around)
- Drizzle the sauce over the avocados and grate horseradish to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados