If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Day 19, Grand Canyon. the shrimp were originally slotted for something much too hot for a 110 degree day, the avocados were at their peak, the tomato stash had weathered a bumpy albeit merrily ride down the stream, and the beer was as cold as the river could get it. life was but a dream. —mackenzie
- 12 avocados
- 3 pounds frozen peeled pre-cooked small shrimp
- 5 ripe slicing tomatoes
- 1 fresh jalapeno
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 fresh limes
- 3 dashes fresh ground pepper
- 1 pinch sea salt
- thaw frozen shrimp, and rinse. set aside and keep cool.
- slice each avocado in half lengthwise. remove pits, and keep three. cube avocado and scoop gently into a large bowl; add the three reserved pits (this keeps the avocado from turning brown while you do the rest of the prep or toss a few horseshoes). reserve intact peels.
- dice tomatoes and finely dice the jalapeno.
- squeeze limes and whisk into mayonnaise. add salt and pepper.
- remove avocado pits and discard. stir shrimp, avocado, tomatoes, jalapeno, and mayo together gently. mound into avocado peel "boats." no fork necessary because the boat acts as a scoop. beer, however (or a nice swig of tequila) is a must.
More Great Recipes: