Day 19, Grand Canyon. the shrimp were originally slotted for something much too hot for a 110 degree day, the avocados were at their peak, the tomato stash had weathered a bumpy albeit merrily ride down the stream, and the beer was as cold as the river could get it. life was but a dream. —mackenzie
- Makes 24
frozen peeled pre-cooked small shrimp
ripe slicing tomatoes
fresh ground pepper
- thaw frozen shrimp, and rinse. set aside and keep cool.
- slice each avocado in half lengthwise. remove pits, and keep three. cube avocado and scoop gently into a large bowl; add the three reserved pits (this keeps the avocado from turning brown while you do the rest of the prep or toss a few horseshoes). reserve intact peels.
- dice tomatoes and finely dice the jalapeno.
- squeeze limes and whisk into mayonnaise. add salt and pepper.
- remove avocado pits and discard. stir shrimp, avocado, tomatoes, jalapeno, and mayo together gently. mound into avocado peel "boats." no fork necessary because the boat acts as a scoop. beer, however (or a nice swig of tequila) is a must.