grams white or red skinned potatoes
teaspoon vinegar (any kind is fine)
tablespoons olive oil plus a little extra for brushing the baking tin
pinch Salt and Pepper
(1 to bind the potato mixture and the other three to serve as part the Hashbrown bakes(s)
rashers of streaky bacon (it’s better if these are a bit fatty)
mushrooms – sliced
grams tin of baked beans (check these are gluten free if you’re gluten intolerant)
pinch •Black pepper and a couple of chopped chives to garnish
In This Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 190c. Peel and grate the potatoes using a grater attachment on a food processor. As you’re shredding the potato, place it in a bowl of cold water with the 1/4 tsp vinegar (this prevents the potato going brown). Once all of the potato is shredded, drain and squeeze out the excess water, then pat dry with some kitchen roll. Place in a large bowl and mix in the olive oil, salt and pepper and 1 egg.
- Brush a 12 hole muffin tin with oil to prevent the potato sticking. Split the potato mixture between the muffin holes. Squish the mixture in and try to make a bit of a dip in the middle, working the potato up the sides of the tin.
- Put the potato in the oven to cook for 20 minutes. Check it after 10 minutes, and put a bit of tin foil over if the edges of the potato are going too brown.
- Break an egg into a small dish. Carefully spoon out the yolk into one of the Hashbrown cups, then spoon over some of the egg white. You don’t want it to flood the hashbrown cups, so it’s unlikely you’ll need all of the egg white. Repeat with the other two eggs.
- Place the hashbrowns back in the oven for another 10 minutes. If your potato is looking like it’s going to get too brown, then put the tinfoil back on top. Make sure the tin foil isn’t touching the egg as it will stick.
- Whilst the potato is cooking, heat up a small frying pan and fry the bacon rashers on a high heat. Once cooked, scoop out the bacon, and fry the mushrooms in the rendered bacon fat. Heat up the beans in a separate pan.
- Take the hashbrowns out of the oven and very carefully scoop out of the muffin tin onto a plate. Spoon over the mushrooms, beans and bacon, then sprinkle with a bit of black pepper and some chopped chives to serve.