Author Notes: Silky and light avocado panna cotta that remains rich and creamy, as it is in its fresh form, but is complimented with a tart cherry and amaretto sauce. —Nathan Smith
cups Milk, whole
tablespoons Agar agar, powdered
cups Heavy cream
pieces Hass Avocados
cups Lemon juice, fresh squeezed
teaspoons Salt, kosher
cups Cherries, fresh, pitted, sliced
tablespoons Lemon juice, fresh squeezed
cups Marcona Almonds, roasted, rough chopped
In This Recipe
- Lightly coat 12 four-ounce ramekins with canola oil, or locate an appropriate silicon baking mold.
- In a small sauce pot, combine 2 cups milk and the agar agar, whisk and allow to bloom for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of milk and the heavy cream to the sauce pot, and bring to just below a simmer about 170-175ºF. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to about room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the avocados, lemon juice and salt, and puree until very smooth.
- Add the milk, cream and agar mixture to the food processor and continue to puree until very smooth. Pass through a fine mesh strainer for best results.
- Transfer the avocado puree to an easier-to-pour container and pour the puree into each of the 12 ramekins or molds.
- Cover each ramekin with foodservice wrap, ensuring to make contact with the puree to prevent browning of the puree.
- Refrigerate until they have reached an internal temperature of 40ºF or less
- Preheat a non-stick pan on medium-high heat, and add the sliced cherries and a pinch of salt.
- Once the cherries have been lightly sautéed, add in the amaretto, and the lemon juice and continue to sauté. (Not flambé.)
- Finally, add in the water and the sugar and turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Allow the sauce to simmer and thicken, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Remove from the heat, transfer to a small bowl, and chill until you are ready to plate the dessert.
- To plate: Invert the delicate panna cotta, top with the cherry amaretto compote, and roasted marcona almonds.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados