- Serves 6
My mom just made this stew for us tonight and I've had it many times in my life. It's a great big dose of mom in a bowl every time. I wrote down her recipe for it almost word for word. It is different because thought it is very light with lots of vegetables, it is also full of flavor. You can add other cuts of meat (like oxtail) and other vegetables (like root veggies). I asked my mom what to call it and she said "Just beef stew. Delicious beef stew." Hence the name. —monkeymom
salt and pepper
medium onion, chopped
fresh shitake mushrooms
sweet rice wine (or sherry)
14 oz can chopped tomato or 2-3 fresh tomatoes
carrots cut into 1 in pieces
chicken stock (homemade if possible, beef stock is okay too)
cabbage, coarsely cut
potatoes (waxy, like a yukon gold or red, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- Salt and pepper the beef.
- Brown both sides of beef. Pour off excess oil. Take the meat out of the pan.
- Saute the onions and mushrooms with some salt. When the onion is soft, add the garlic (don't burn it).
- Return the beef. Add wine, carrots, and stock and check seasoning. Add salt and pepper if needed
- Add tomatoes. Check for seasoning again. If it tastes a little sour, add the brown sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Put into a slow cooker on low for 6 hours.
- Add potatoes and cabbage. Leave for another hour.
- Check seasoning. When ready to serve, the meat should be soft enough to pull apart into chunks.
- Serve with hot white rice. You can also leave out the potatoes and serve with buttery mashed potatoes.