If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This summer I wanted to celebrate my favorite classic dessert, Strawberry Shortcake, but in a different form. I mixed all those flavors up in ice cream and it totally took me back to childhood. —Laura Dembowski
- 16 ounces container strawberries, washed, hulled, and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 loaf pound cake, cubed
- In a small saucepan, combine strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Cook over medium-low heat until the berries are juicy and have softened, about 5 minutes. Pour into a bowl place in the refrigerator to chill completely, at least four hours.
- After the strawberry sauce has chilled, place the softened ice cream into a medium bowl. Mix in pound cake cubes. Some will be mashed others will not, this will add a variety of textures. Drizzle in half of the strawberry sauce. Mix it in so it is streaked through the ice cream. Place ice cream into a freezer safe container and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Serve the ice cream with additional strawberry sauce and pound cake cubes. Ice cream can be stored in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe