If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This being my first time making calzones, I decided to do what all great chefs that plan ahead do and wing the recipe with what I had on hand. To my pleasant surprise, I found the concoction of ingredients to be quite good. For my dough, I used a pizza dough recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay. Tonight seems to be full of firsts for me, as this is also the first time I have shared a recipe on Food 52. I hope you enjoy :) —The Narwhalcookie
- 4 Italian sausages
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 10 ounces grated fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- prepared pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Remove the skin from the Italian sausages and cook completely in a pan. Drain grease and set aside. Cook the onion with garlic, bell pepper, and mushrooms at least halfway and set aside with the cooked sausage. In a large bowl, combine the cheeses, herbs, and salt. Add the vegetables and sausage to the bowl and stir.
- Divide the prepared pizza dough into 8 equally sized pieces. Using a rolling pin, roll each out into circles 1/4 of an inch thick. Spoon equal amounts of the filling in the center of each circle, fold one side of the dough over to the other, and pinch the dough together to seal. Brush the melted butter over the tops of the calzones. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until lightly brown.
More Great Recipes: Pizza