If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: my mammina loreta's favorite way to use peas from the garden in summer (and the frozen variety in winter). So much better than canned peas (which we never served.) This sweet and delicious preparation will make pea fans out of adults and children alike. —cucina di mammina
Serves approx. 4-6
large bowl of freshly-picked and shelled sweet peas (you can use a good quality frozen brand of peas in the off-season)
small to medium spanish red onion, peeled and chopped (use only about half the onion if it is on the large side)
very good quality extra virgin olive oil
sea salt & black pepper to taste
- In a deep medium size sauce pan, drizzle a healthy dose of olive oil and add the chopped red onion.
- Place on medium heat and sauté the onion until it begins to soften and become fragrant.
- Once the onion is softened, add in the fresh-picked peas and about a half glass of water and stir well (if using frozen peas instead, use less water as they will contain a bit of water already from the frozen process.)
- Allow the peas to slowly cook over medium-low heat stirring often so they cook evenly.
- Place a tilted pan lid on the top of the cooking peas to allow a bit of steam to occur during this cooking process. Test the doneness of the peas, they will be ready when they are no longer hard, but soft and sweet in taste and texture.
- Note: Fresh peas will take longer to cook; watch and test the peas often so as NOT to overcook and lose their beautiful green color and flavor.
- Remove from the heat once completely cooked through and add additional seasonings at this time as needed. Serve immediately with your choice of fish or protein and a wonderful garden fresh salad.
- Tip: I will mix these in with pastina or orzo to serve as a lunch or side dish. I am also a fan of adding them to my mixed green salad for a boost of flavor and wonderful sweet texture.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Green Holiday Side