If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by Alice Medrich's Whole Wheat Biscotti, this is a nutty, toasty biscotti perfect for dunking in your morning coffee. This recipe is a result of my experimentation with Einkorn, but it can also be made with whole wheat flour. —Hailey7
Makes 20-24 6-inch biscotti
- 2 1/8 cup Einkorn flour or
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup packed dark or light brown sugar
- 4 tbs unsalted melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tbs dark roasted ground coffee
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Position a rack in the center of the oven.
- Combine the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and mix together thoroughly.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, butter, eggs, salt, and vanilla for 2 to 3 minutes, until thick and pale.
- Add the flour mixture and the nuts and stir until all the ingredients are moistened. Einkorn flour results in a stickier dough, so do not overmix. Scrape the dough onto a lined or greased cookie sheet and spread into a 6-by-15-inch rectangle with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the loaf has puffed and is firm but springy to the touch. Rotate the sheet halfway through to ensure even baking. Set the sheet on a rack to cool for at least 15 minutes. Leave the oven on, turning it down to 300ºF.
- Transfer the loaf carefully to a cutting board. If you used a liner, slide a metal spatula under the loaf to detach and remove the liner. Using a long serrated knife, cut the loaf into slices 1/2 inch thick. Transfer the slices to the unlined cookie sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the cookies turn golden, rotating the sheet halfway through to ensure even baking. Set the sheet on a rack. Cool the cookies completely before stacking or storing. May be kept in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.