If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Black bean soup with smoky bacon, cheddar cheese, and a dollop of spicy chipotle crema. —Riley Wofford
Serves 6 to 8
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Place a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook for about 6 minutes, until golden and crispy. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes, ketchup, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, and black beans and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice. Using an immersion blender, purée the soup until thick and smooth.
- Whisk together the heavy cream, sour cream, chipotle chile, and adobo sauce in a small bowl to combine.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the cheddar cheese, cilantro, reserved bacon, and a dollop of chipotle crema.