Author Notes: This crumble is absolutely divine. The combination of the sweet apples with the tart strawberries is just heavenly. The hint of lemon mellows the sweetness, and the cinnamon adds a warm flavor. Now coming to the almond topping, all I can say is that, it just increases the flavor of the dessert by many folds. It gives a nutty and biscuit-like texture to the dessert. —Nandita SS
Apples, peeled, cored and cubed
grams Strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
grams Condensed milk
Cold Butter, divided
cup Almond meal
cup All purpose flour
tablespoon Icing sugar
tablespoon Slivered almonds for garnish
- Mix the Cubed apples, strawberries and lemon juice an oven proof dish and mix all to combine.
- Mix together 1tbsp of butter with the condensed milk in a non stick pan and heat the mixture on a low flame for two to three mins. Remove from heat and stir in half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Pour the condensed milk mixture over the apples and strawberry mixture and spread it evenly.
- In a bowl, mix the almond meal, oats, all purpose flour, sugar and the other half tea spoon of cinnamon powder and mix well.
- Rub the cold butter into the almond-flour mixture and mix till the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 180C for 35-40min or till the crumble topping turns golden brown. Serve hot or warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe