If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It recently came to my attention that I've been approaching this whole strawberry thing wrong for a good portion of my adult life. Call it something of a culinary epiphany. Each year I dutifully drive to the u-pick, spend the better part of an afternoon plucking perfectly ripe little gems straight from the plant, haul my pounds and pounds of berries back home and proceed to jam and can for what feels like days. Because of this my pantry shelves look mighty impressive, and I always have holiday gifts covered, but I eat shamefully few strawberries during their sadly brief season. As this summer began, I took stock of my still jam-packed (that's a pun, mind you) larder and decided NEVER AGAIN. Too much damn jam and not enough berries in my belly. This year I'm making a change. No more unnecessary self-denial.
Strawberries in/ on/ over all the things until there are no more.
I'm living in the berry-stained moment.
—Slow Club Cookery
- 1 cup stoneground cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unrefined sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup unsweetened non dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola or other neutral oil
- extra sugar for dusting tops of muffins
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Combine quartered strawberries and balsamic vinegar in a small bow, stir to coat and set aside.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (cornmeal, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, sugar) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add non dairy milk, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and oil. Stir until well combined.
- Gently fold in balsamic coated strawberries. Do not over mix.
- Fill lined muffin tins 2/3 full and dust tops with a pinch of extra sugar. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until tops are lightly browned and a tester inserted into center comes out clean.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe