If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Here is yet another wonderful way for enjoying the fresh berries of summer. —Kukla
For the Gnocchi
- • 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) whole milk ricotta, homemade or purchased, drained for at list 4 hours or overnight
- • 2 large egg yolks
- • 3/4 cup "00" flour or all-purpose flour
- • 2 tablespoons semolina (which is used for cooking Cream of Wheat, not flour)
- • 2 teaspoons sugar
- • 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- • 1/4 teaspoon salt
- • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- • Melted or browned butter for serving
- To make the Gnocchi: In a large bowl, using a large fork, mix well ricotta until smooth; add egg yolks, lemon zest, sugar, salt and cinnamon; mix until combined.
- Sift flour over the mixture; sprinkle semolina and using a rubber spatula gently fold together.
- Turn mixture out onto a lightly floured work surface. Lightly knead just until dough comes together (do not overwork dough).
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces, and roll into 1/2-inch-thick ropes on a floured surface. Cut each rope into 1/2-inch pieces, deep your finger tip in flour and make an indentation in each gnocchi. Place on a lightly floured baking sheet. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
For the Blueberry Compote
- • 1/2 cup red wine
- • 1/4 cup sugar
- • 1 pound fresh organic blueberries
- • Juice from 1/2 lemon
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- • 2 teaspoons any berry liqueur you have
- In a medium sauce pan bring wine and sugar to boil, add the blueberries, bring back to boil, reduce to simmer and cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes; add lemon juice, vanilla extract and liqueur; cook 1 more minute.
- To serve: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, shake off excess flour from gnocchi add to boiling water. Cook until they plump up and float to surface, 2-3 minutes. Drain, shake off excess water and toss in a large bowl with melted butter.
- Divide the gnocchi between serving plates; spoon the blueberry compote on top, add a few fresh blueberries, eat and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe