Author Notes: Here is yet another wonderful way for enjoying the fresh berries of summer. —Kukla
For the Gnocchi
- • 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) whole milk ricotta, homemade or purchased, drained for at list 4 hours or overnight
- • 2 large egg yolks
- • 3/4 cup "00" flour or all-purpose flour
- • 2 tablespoons semolina (which is used for cooking Cream of Wheat, not flour)
- • 2 teaspoons sugar
- • 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- • 1/4 teaspoon salt
- • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- • Melted or browned butter for serving
- To make the Gnocchi: In a large bowl, using a large fork, mix well ricotta until smooth; add egg yolks, lemon zest, sugar, salt and cinnamon; mix until combined.
- Sift flour over the mixture; sprinkle semolina and using a rubber spatula gently fold together.
- Turn mixture out onto a lightly floured work surface. Lightly knead just until dough comes together (do not overwork dough).
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces, and roll into 1/2-inch-thick ropes on a floured surface. Cut each rope into 1/2-inch pieces, deep your finger tip in flour and make an indentation in each gnocchi. Place on a lightly floured baking sheet. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
For the Blueberry Compote
- • 1/2 cup red wine
- • 1/4 cup sugar
- • 1 pound fresh organic blueberries
- • Juice from 1/2 lemon
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- • 2 teaspoons any berry liqueur you have
- In a medium sauce pan bring wine and sugar to boil, add the blueberries, bring back to boil, reduce to simmer and cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes; add lemon juice, vanilla extract and liqueur; cook 1 more minute.
- To serve: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, shake off excess flour from gnocchi add to boiling water. Cook until they plump up and float to surface, 2-3 minutes. Drain, shake off excess water and toss in a large bowl with melted butter.
- Divide the gnocchi between serving plates; spoon the blueberry compote on top, add a few fresh blueberries, eat and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe