Author Notes: “We need, in love, to practice only this: letting each other go. For holding on comes easily; we do not need to learn it.” ― Rainer Maria Rilke
Food has a wonderful way of connecting us to our loved ones whom God has requested that we let go of, if only this connection lasts for a fleeting moment. Love manifests itself though a blessed memory that is truly a wonderful gift to behold.
Walking through Penn Mac the other week, I fingered a bag of Amaretti cookies and picked up one for a gift and one for myself if only to connect for a moment with my Nona. These little cookies make my heart warm with thoughts of her as I know that she loved these crispy little bites more than anyone.
Amaretti cookies are funny little things. Crisp yet simple, they aren’t meant to be savored like a decadent brownie but simply enjoyed with a cuppa….tea, coffee or otherwise and a bit of conversation. Their heady almond scent is evocative of wintry nights by the fire but in this case, I thought they might bring a subtle spicy depth to the juiciness of the summer peach.
In this recreation of a summer dessert, the satiny brightness of the peach gets drizzled in honeyed nuttiness. The crisp provides a nice contrast to the softness of the peach.
Enjoy with a glass of whole milk or a nice English tea. —Love & Wild Honey
milliliters amaretto liquor (or half of a teeny bottle)
cup honey or organic cane sugar
cups crushed amaretti cookies
cup rolled organic oats
cup organic cane sugar
teaspoon fine sea or kosher salt
ounces salted butter
- 1. Slice peaches and place in a 9 inch pie plate or similar sized pan.
- 2. Toss with amaretto, honey or sugar and vanilla.
- 3. Pulse (in food processor or blender) together oats, almonds, sugar, salt and cookies until you have a coarse crumb.
- 4. With fingers, smoosh butter into the topping until you have buttery clumps.
- 5. Top peach mixture with your topping. Hence why it is called a topping!
- 6. Sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- 7. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve warm, on its own or with vanilla bean ice cream for some real decadence.