“We need, in love, to practice only this: letting each other go. For holding on comes easily; we do not need to learn it.” ― Rainer Maria Rilke
Food has a wonderful way of connecting us to our loved ones whom God has requested that we let go of, if only this connection lasts for a fleeting moment. Love manifests itself though a blessed memory that is truly a wonderful gift to behold.
Walking through Penn Mac the other week, I fingered a bag of Amaretti cookies and picked up one for a gift and one for myself if only to connect for a moment with my Nona. These little cookies make my heart warm with thoughts of her as I know that she loved these crispy little bites more than anyone.
Amaretti cookies are funny little things. Crisp yet simple, they aren’t meant to be savored like a decadent brownie but simply enjoyed with a cuppa….tea, coffee or otherwise and a bit of conversation. Their heady almond scent is evocative of wintry nights by the fire but in this case, I thought they might bring a subtle spicy depth to the juiciness of the summer peach.
In this recreation of a summer dessert, the satiny brightness of the peach gets drizzled in honeyed nuttiness. The crisp provides a nice contrast to the softness of the peach.
Enjoy with a glass of whole milk or a nice English tea. —Love & Wild Honey
amaretto liquor (or half of a teeny bottle)
honey or organic cane sugar
1 1/2 cups
crushed amaretti cookies
rolled organic oats
organic cane sugar
fine sea or kosher salt
1. Slice peaches and place in a 9 inch pie plate or similar sized pan.
2. Toss with amaretto, honey or sugar and vanilla.
3. Pulse (in food processor or blender) together oats, almonds, sugar, salt and cookies until you have a coarse crumb.
4. With fingers, smoosh butter into the topping until you have buttery clumps.
5. Top peach mixture with your topping. Hence why it is called a topping!
6. Sprinkle with slivered almonds.
7. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Serve warm, on its own or with vanilla bean ice cream for some real decadence.
See what other Food52ers are saying.