If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This hearty delight is a traditional Italian dish that has found its way to the top of my 'comfort foods' list. Osso Buco is a cut of meat that is kind on the purse and even kinder on the stomach. The rich aromatic herbs offset the tomato based stew beautifully, the perfect companion to a good dry red and a crackling fire.
Do not be deterred by the 12 hour cooking time, the melt in your mouth texture of the meat is matched only by the buttery heart of the marrow. And once you've got all the ingredients in the slow cooker feel free to go about your daily business, it'll bubble away nicely, minding its own business.
Great served atop my lima bean mash, zucchini pasta or cauliflower rice. And of course, this is completely free of gluten, dairy and sugar.
- 3 pounds (1.5kg) veal shanks
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 60 milliliters olive oil
- 1 cup onions- minced
- 1 cup celery- minced
- 1 cup carrots-minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 2 cups tomatoes-chopped
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Have the butcher cut the veal shanks into 5 cm /2 inch thick slices.
- Rub the salt and pepper into the meat.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet. Fry the veal on both sides until brown and crisp (no longer than about 30 seconds) . Set aside.
- In a food processor, mince the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Do not over process. Just blend until all vegetables are finely chopped.
- Transfer the vegetables into the heated skillet used previously and cook, stirring for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and place the vegetables into a slow cooker, adding the meat on top.
- Sprinkle the herbs over the meat and add the tomatoes, beef broth, and wine.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 to 12 hours. If using beef shanks instead of veal, cook the osso buco for at least 12 hours.
- Serve with our lima bean mash or cauliflower rice.