If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The Splendid Table radio program featured the authors of a book called Fried and True. The authors wrote about their journey through the US looking for the best fried chicken. This is one recipe they posted by chefs Kermit Ruffins and Ray Boom Boom. —Mrs. G
- 3.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 0.5 cups all-purpose seasoning, such as Morton's Season All
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 chicken, washed, patted dry, cut into 8 pieces, and well chilled
- Sea salt
- Make the dredge: In a large bowl, combine the flour, seasoning, baking powder, and pepper.
- Fry the chicken: Prepare a deep-fryer or fill a large (at least 6-quart) pot halfway with oil and heat to 355°F to 360°F. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, shake off the excess, and fry until the chicken is dark brown and the crust is brittle, 16 to 18 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season with salt to taste.