Author Notes: My favorite poundcake recipe uses buttermilk rather than milk, which gives the finished loaf the most beautiful (less dense) crumb and a slightly tangy flavor that's great with jam. —Erin McDowell
Makes: 1 loaf
sticks softened unsalted butter
cups vanilla sugar
cups all purpose flour
teaspoons baking powder
coarse sugar, for garnish
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 4-5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt to combine. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mix just until incorporated.
- Add 1/3 of the buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated. Repeat until all of the dry and wet ingredients are added, scrape the bowl well.
- Pour the batter into a greased, parchment lined loaf pan and top generously with coarse sugar. Bake in a 350 degree oven until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes in the pan before unmolding, then cool completely before serving.
More Great Recipes: