If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Makes: 4 medium flatbreads
cups bread flour (396 g)
teaspoon kosher salt (3.5 g)
teaspoon instant yeast (4 g)
cups warm water (292.5 g)
cup extra-virgin olive oil (43 g), plus more for brushing
Flaky salt, for finishing
Leaves of 1 to 2 sprigs rosemary, for finishing
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour and salt to combine. Add the yeast and mix to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl, and add the water and olive oil. Use a wooden spoon to mix until the mixture forms a shaggy mass.
- On a lightly floured work surface, knead the dough until it forms a smooth ball, 6 to 9 minutes (or 3 to 4 minutes on medium speed in a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook).
- Transfer the dough to a medium, lightly oiled bowl. Loosely cover, and let rise until the dough is double in size, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat the grill or grill pan until smoking hot. Clean and oil the grates of the grill.
- While the grill is heating up, divide the dough into four (roughly even) pieces; it will be on the sticky side, so oil your hands a little to make the dough easier to handle. Holding the dough on its outside edges, stretch it gently, letting gravity do most of the work to form it into an oblong shape. Lightly oil both sides of the dough. (I do this on a baking sheet that is greased in oil -- I stretch the dough and place it onto the baking sheet, which is covered in oil. When I get out to the grill, I flip it over quickly to oil the other side, and, while it’s still in my hand, I throw it onto the grill grates).
- Cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. When the breads are still hot from the grill, brush with more olive oil, and top with flaky salt and rosemary leaves. They are best warm, but will keep for a couple days too – they make for a good picnic lunch with chicken salad, a vessel for hummus or other dips, or -- my favorite -- slathered with pesto and ricotta cheese.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!