Author Notes: Brrrrr..it's is freezing over in my part of the world and seems I'm not the only one...well to get some heat back into and a smile on your face try this surprisingly quick and delicous recipe..the borlotti beans and speck work magically together..wait and see!! —irishgirl-italiankitchen
ounces borlotti beans
ounces fresh pasta
ounces speck (or bacon)
ounces peeled tomatoes ("pomodori pelati"from the can)
ounces olive oil
- Take a can of borlotti beans (you can also use the dry kind) and put them in a pan of boiling water for about 5 minutes to soften them up and then put them in a food mixer or grinder to create a type of creamy bean paste.
- Prepare a medium-sized saucepan of vegetable broth. We use the knorr stock, just add it to boiling water and in 5 minutes it's ready.
- Grate the onion and cut about two thirds of the speck into small pieces
- Heat the oil in a large pan (I would suggest a deep pan like a wok) and let the onion and speck cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, borlotti beans paste and add a good bit of the vegetable broth.***The trick to know much broth to use is that you have to think that the pasta is going to cook in this pan for about 6 mins so there should be enough water for this but also to make a creamy sauce.***
- Add the pasta to the pan and cook for as long as necessary(We use fresh pasta because it cooks quicker and is ideal for this dish). If the sauce is beginning to dry up add some more vegetable broth.
- When the pasta is cooked take the pan off the flame and add salt and peper and let it cool for a few minutes
- Serve with the remaing speck pieces sprinkled on top