If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
A hearty main-course soup of fresh & smoked fish, bacon, leeks, tomatoes, potatoes, sweetcorn, garlic & a touch of chili
A hearty main-course soup of fresh & smoked fish, bacon, leeks, tomatoes, potatoes, sweetcorn, garlic & a touch of chili—Edibletcetera
medium sized leeks, white and tender green parts only, cleaned and thinly sliced
fat clove(s) of garlic, finely chopped
ounces of lean smoked bacon, pancetta or ham, chopped
teaspoon of dried marjoram
tablespoons of extra-v olive oil
ounces of chopped canned tomatoes including all their juice
ounces of small red potatoes - washed, left unpeeled and cut into smallish chunks
pints of chicken or vegetable stock
cup of defrosted sweetcorn kernels
pounds of fresh cod or similar firm white fish, cut into 2 inch (50mm) chunks
ounces of smoked haddock, cod or whitefish
pinch of dried red chili flakes (optional)
Sea salt, freshly ground black pepper to taste
tablespoons Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large heavy pan with a lid, heat the olive oil and sauté the leeks, garlic, bacon (or ham) and marjoram for approx 4 minutes; reduce the heat to low, put the lid on and allow it to sweat until the leeks are tender - approx 10 minutes.
- Add the stock, cubed potatoes, canned tomatoes, sweetcorn and chili flakes if using. Simmer, covered until the potatoes are just tender. Give it a good grind of sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Carefully add all the fish and simmer very gently until the the cod (or whatever you're using) becomes opaque, approx 10 minutes. Stir very gently, check the seasoning once more then serve in hot bowls with chopped fresh parsley scattered over, with some warm crusty bread on the side.
- Not only does this taste better on days 2 and three, it also freezes well - re-heat very, very gently and be careful not to over-stir or you'll break up the fish pieces.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup