If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: While I love a classic BLT sandwich, I was looking for another way to enjoy those flavors - Especially when we receive 2 heads of lovely lettuce per week from our CSA share! Just about any variety of lettuce will work here, but the greener the lettuce, the brighter the soup. Feel free to experiment with different greens throughout the season! Served warm or chilled, it can be a light starter or topped off with extra bacon and tomatoes to make it a meal. —sparkplug
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups lettuce, roughly chopped & tightly packed
- 1 cup carrot greens, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- bacon, cooked & diced
- tomatoes, chopped
- goat cheese, crumbled
- Melt butter and combine with oil over medium-low heat.
- Saute onions in the butter and oil until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and saute just until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Add the lettuce, carrot greens, chives, and cilantro. Stir occasionally until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and place in a blender with lemon juice. Blend until smooth.
- Serve warm or chilled, topped with chopped bacon, tomatoes, and goat cheese.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup
More Great Recipes: