If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It is Jersey fresh twist on black eyed pea soup...the addition of the tomatoes really makes the soup stand out on its own! —1Forkful
Serves 10-12 people
- 2 cups Black Eyed Peas - soaked overnight in water and picked over
- 4 Carrots (diced)
- 1 Large Onion (diced)
- 8 Medium Tomatoes (diced) - This is what makes it Jersey delicious!
- 1 tablespoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Ground Sea Salt
- 6 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 1/4 pounds Skin on Smoked Turkey Drumsticks
- In a large crock pot add the carrots, onion and tomatoes
- Season with salt /pepper
- Mix well to ensure vegetables are seasoned
- Add black eyed peas and chicken broth
- Tuck turkey drumsticks in mixture
- Cover with the crock pot lid and cook on high for 6 hours
- After 6 hours remove turkey drumsticks from soup
- Allow turkey to cool, remove the skin and the small bones, shred the meat off the bone, set aside
- After soup has cooled measure out 8 cups and blend until smooth
- Add smooth mixture and shredded turkey meat back to the soup
- Stir to incorporate and serve in a large bowl
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup