Author Notes: This soup recipe is inspired by a cantaloupe and heirloom tomato salad served by Chef Matthew Accarrino at SPQR restaurant in San Francisco. This simple soup uses a blend of cantaloupe and yellow tomatoes and is topped with creamy mozzarella, basil leaves, and a sprinkle of cayenne to balance the sweetness. Light, fresh, and summery - this soup makes a delightful and surprising warm weather dish.
cups cantaloupe, chopped
cups yellow grape tomatoes, rinsed
tablespoons fresh lemon juice
tablespoon champagne vinegar
ounce fresh mozzarella
purple basil leaves
- Place cantaloupe in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Place tomatoes in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh sieve and add to the cantaloupe.
- Add the lemon juice, vinegar, and salt. Stir ingredients, cover, and chill in the refrigerator for at least four hours.
- When ready to serve, pour the soup into bowls and garnish each with the mozzarella and basil leaves. Add a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup