If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I think about health food, I think about the things that my mother told me would “put hair on my chest”. Foods for strength. Foods that are eaten when you don’t feel so good and need a boost. Point in case: liver (the original superfood). —zahlicious
- 2 pounds calf's liver, portioned in 4
- 5 large yellow onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups milk
- flour, for dusting
- butter and oil, for frying
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the liver in a shallow dish and pour the milk over it to cover. Set aside.
- To caramelize the onions, place a large, heavy bottomed pot over low heat. Melt 4 tbsp. butter. Add the sliced onions and stir to coat with butter. After 2-3 minutes, sprinkle generously with salt. Continue to cook the onions over low heat, stirring occasionally, until very brown and caramelized, about an hour to 90 minutes. Whenever your onions start to stick to the bottom of the pot, just add a spoonful of water to loosen them.
- In the meantime, place a small sauce pot over low heat. Add the honey. Cook gently, without stirring, until the honey turns dark amber and bubbles. Pour in the chicken stock and apple cider and stir well to loosen the honey from the bottom of the pot. Reduce over low heat until just about 1/4 of the liquid remains. Season to taste with salt.
- Once the onions are done cooking, remove the liver from the milk. Pat with paper towel to remove excess moisture. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with flour (do not dredge).
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and drizzle in a few tablespoons of oil. Throw in the thyme and the smashed garlic. Gently place the liver in the pan. Sear on both sides, basting in the thyme and garlic infused oil all the while. Cook to desired doneness — medium all the way to well done is acceptable for liver.
- Plate with the onions, whatever vegetables and starch you want, and drizzle with the apple cider reduction.