If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is not the typical green borscht, but rather a simpler version without the potatoes and eggs. Family legend has it that I downed a quart of this soup when I was two. —Madeleine Cohen
Serves 4 people or one hungry toddler
- 1/2 pound Spinach
- 1/2 pound Sorrel (Sour Grass)
- 1 bunch Scallions
- Cold Water
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Sugar
- 1 splash Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Sour Cream OR Greek Yogurt (optional)
- Clean and finely chop the spinach, sorrel and scallions.
- Put chopped greens in a soup pan (one with a lid) and add cold water to cover.
- Put on stove on medium high and bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and lightly simmer until greens are tender (about 1/2 hour).
- Add a salt, sugar, and fresh lemon juice and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from heat. Taste and adjust seasonings (salt, sugar, lemon juice). Should be sweet-sour.
- Cool, then put in refrigerator. Chill for at least two hours. The soup can be prepared the day before and chilled overnight.
- If desired, whisk in sour cream/greek yogurt prior to serving.
More Great Recipes: Soups