If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Combining slightly sweet eggplant with salty feta and tomatoes makes this a versatile side dish. Served with garlicky shrimp and asparagus it was a nice addition. —cedargate
- 9 ounces rustichella d'abruzzo orzo pasta or another type you like
- 1 firm Jersey tomato, chopped and seeded
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup thin cut ribbons of fresh basil and mint
- 6-8 oil packed sundried tomatoes
- 1 small eggplant
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon honey for drizzling
- Place cubes of eggplant in a colander set over a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Wait a half-hour while the juices run into the bowl. Make the orzo according to instructions, rinse and set aside adding a bit of oil to loosen. Roast the eggplant tossed in olive oil at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Check to see that the skin is still crispy and turn the oven down to 300 to cook for another 10 minutes or so. Set in a medium sized bowl - this is where all of your other ingredients will wind up. Drizzle with the honey.
- Add the orzo to the bowl along with the feta, chopped and seeded tomato, sundried tomatoes and ribbons of mint and basil. Add the orzo enough so the ingredients show but don't dominate. season with salt and pepper to taste and serve!