Author Notes: My boyfriend’s stepfather was known for his Caribbean-style, lemon-soaked, pepper-crusted bacon. This bacon made my heart sing and added a ferocious zing to my eggy, cheesy sandwich. If I had any business sense or any money, I’d open a weekend stand and sell only this sandwich! I urge you to try it on a sunny Sunday morning with some iced coffee. —Brooklyn Salt
Food52 Review: Totally as good as it seems. For me, the crusty roll was too much bread for the filling, so I'll consider adding another egg next time. The lemony bacon is a cool technique, and this is a super tasty recipe. —Stephanie Bourgeois
Juice from half a lemon
2 to 4
strips uncooked bacon
Freshly cracked black pepper
small roll (ciabatta, french or italian bread, something chewy and crusty)
3 to 4
thin slices of Manchego cheese
small handful arugula
- Squeeze the lemon into a small bowl and set it aside. Add the bacon to a dry pan over medium heat, cook halfway to well done, add in the lemon juice -- and stand back! Cook until well done and crispy all over, then crack a generous amount of black pepper on top and transfer the bacon to paper towels. Set it aside.
- Coat a separate small pan with some of the remaining bacon grease using a paper towel and carefully crack an egg into the pan over low heat. When the whites are almost completely cooked through but the yolk is still runny, remove the egg from the pan and place it on the bottom half of the roll, sprinkling some salt on top of the egg.
- Top the egg with the cheese, then the bacon, then the greens. Close it up and enjoy immediately.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe