Author Notes: Grilled Mascarpone on Chocolate Cherry Bread with Blackberry Cabernet Compote sounds like a mouthful and with good reason. Each bite is incredibly decadent and the Blackberry Cabernet Compote elevates this sandwich to a level all by itself. —Betsy @ Desserts Required
Serves: 4 - 6
cup cabernet sauvignon
chocolate cherry bread
- Place the blackberries, Gallo Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium high heat until the wine is nearly evaporated.
- Press the blackberries against the side of the pan as they cook.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl.
- Slice the bread into 1” pieces.
- Spread a thick layer of mascarpone on one slice of bread.
- Cover with a second slice of bread.
- Place the sandwich in a pan.
- Brush melted butter on the bread, turn over and brush butter on to the second slice of bread.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until the bread is nicely browned.
- Flip the sandwich and cover the pan.
- Cook until nicely browned.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan and slice it in half.
- Spoon some blackberry cabernet compote over the sandwich or serve on the side and dip the sandwich into the compote.
- The blackberry cabernet compote recipe accommodates 4-6 sandwiches.
- The blackberry cabernet compote works beautifully with chicken and pork dishes, too. Also sponge cakes, pound cakes and cheesecakes.
- If you are not able to find chocolate cherry bread, feel free to substitute your favorite decadent bread. Brioche or challah would, also, be delicious.