You know when you eat an ice-cream on the beach and sand ALWAYS manages to sneak it's way into your mouth, but you kind of don't really care because it's all part of the 'vibe'? Well the same goes for ribs, with mess. When consuming the rib, one must always be armed with napkins, bibs, bowls of lemon water/pressure hose and a change of clothes. Dubbed the least sexiest thing to eat on a date, the rib has crept it's way up to my number one...Think a plate of ribs and two (?)naked bodies licking their fingers and 'elbows' of all that delightfully sticky sauce. Plonked in front of the kids in a big bowl, and finding greasy brown smears on light switches and doorhandles for days after works too, I guess.
Whatever your culinary occasion, the sweetness of the honey and orange, is balanced beautifully against the paprika and chilli, giving it a warm smokey flavour you'll want to only remove with your tongue. I can guarantee not a spare rib will be left spare. —Sandra Ramacher
- Serves 4
garlic cloves – crushed
smoked sweet paprika
2 1/2 teaspoons
zest from one orange
juice from one orange
(2 racks) lamb spare ribs
- Put all of the ingredients for the marinade into a bowl and whisk together until well combined.
- Place the ribs into a large plastic bag and pour over the marinade.
- Seal the bag pressing out excess air. Place into the refrigerator overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/350°F
- Remove the ribs from the marinade, setting aside the marinade, and place the ribs into a shallow baking dish.
- Then cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour on the middle rack of the oven.
- Meanwhile place the marinade into a heavy bottomed saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Cook until reduced by half.
- Discard the foil from the lamb, pouring off excess fat, and brush with the glaze. Bake for 10 minutes then turn the ribs, brush again with glaze. Repeat twice, in 20 minute intervals. Use the entire glaze, and be generous!
- Once done, remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Then cut into individual ribs and enjoy.