A layer of bubbling hot jam, sandwiched between flaky pastry and topped with sprinkles -- surely the best way to start the day. —londonbakes
- Makes 8
- For the pastries:
1 1/2 cups
all purpose flour
unsalted butter, cold and cubed
cold egg, beaten
cold water (optional)
jam or preserves
milk or beaten egg, for brushing the top of the pop tarts
- For the topping:
hot water or milk
Sprinkles, to decorate
In This Recipe
- Place the flour, butter, sugar, and salt in a food processor and pulse a couple of times until the butter is pea-sized.
- Add the egg and pulse again until the dough starts to come together; if necessary, add a little ice water so that the dough coheres.
- Bring the dough together with your hands and knead it a couple of times until it's smooth. Wrap it in plastic and chill it for half an hour.
- Once it has chilled, divide the dough in two balls and roll out each part out as thinly as possible.
- Cut each piece of dough into eight rectangles, about 3 x 4 inches in size. You may have to re-roll the scraps to get the eight, but it should work.
- Place eight of the rectangles on a baking sheet and add a heaping teaspoon of jam or the filling of your choice to the center of each. Place one of the other rectangles over each filling-topped pastry and press down to seal the edges.
- Use a fork to get a pretty pattern on the sides, then prick a few holes in each pastry so that the steam can escape.
- Place the pastries in the freezer until they're firm. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350° F. When you're ready to bake, brush the pastries with a little beaten egg or milk and put them in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool. If you want to eat them like a real Pop Tart, enjoy them straight from the oven, while the filling is so hot that it burns your mouth.
- Or, leave them to cool a little while you make the glaze by mixing together the powdered sugar and a little hot water or milk until you have a dollop-able consistency. Spread the pastries with the glaze and top with colorful sprinkles.