Author Notes: It was so fun to get out the whirly pop and make some interesting popcorn recipes. I like to serve these little Popcorn Bites on small plates (with a napkin). You can either let the chocolate and caramel harden or serve them gooey. Good both ways. —coffeefoodwrite
Serves: 8-10 (small portions)
ounces package caramels
tablespoons heavy cream
ounces dark chocolate (60% or above)
cups popped popcorn (I like heirloom popcorns or White Cat Corn – hull very tender – I also like to pop corn in grape seed oil – reaches a very high temp. and is light and almost flavorless)
tablespoons unsalted butter - melted
More butter for buttering baking sheet
teaspoon sea salt for popcorn
teaspoon sea salt for caramel
more sea salt or fluer de sel for sprinkling on top
- Melt caramels, heavy cream and 1/8 tsp. sea salt over medium low heat.
- Melt dark chocolate over double boiler or bowl set over pan of simmering water.
- Place a sheet of wax or parchment paper on a baking sheet and butter it. Place popcorn on top in a thin layer.
- Drizzle popcorn with the melted butter and sprinkle with ¼ tsp. sea salt.
- Drizzle on melted chocolate and then drizzle on warm caramel. Sprinkle with more sea salt.
- Let cool slightly then remove to small individual plates, shaping small mounds on each and then let cool further. Can be enjoyed warm and gooey or cooled completely...
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Movie Snack