Author Notes: I really love caramel corn - I mean REALLY love it in the "eat it until you feel sick, then drink some tea, think - oh I feel better - then eat some more, rinse, repeat" sense. So I decided to apply my caramel corn love to pretzles, throw in some heat and some nuts and WALLA! A new treat to eat myself sick on! I used Texas shaped pretzles because, well, they're cute, but twists or those waffle cut ones would be just fine. Or if you have ones representative of your home state. And I used pecans because that's what we grow around here, but you can use whichever nut you love best. —aargersi
Serves me. or me and my husband if i am sharing nicely.
- 1 stick unsalted butter (plus some for buttering the cookie sheet)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups pretzles
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 200. Cover a cookie sheet with foil and butter it. Spread the nuts and pretzles on to the sheet.
- Bring the butter, sugar, salt, corn syrup and spices to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally - I recommend a non-stick saucepan for this. Turn OFF the heat, and stir in the baking soda.
- Pour the sugar over the nuts and pretzles and stir - get it evenly distributed and spread over the cookie sheet.
- Put the sheet in the oven and bake for an hour, stirring and re-spreading 3-4 times while they bake.
- Remove from the oven and spread out on parchment paper to dry. Try to keep your hands OFF them (good luck!) for a few hours until they have dried and are nice and crunchy.
- Movie time!!!!!!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Confection
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Movie Snack
More Great Recipes: Snacks