A simple challah dough that uses the easiest braiding technique of all the challah braids out there—the three braid. —Erin Jeanne McDowell
Watch This Recipe
- Makes 1 large loaf
4 1/4 cups
(520 g) bread flour
(37 g) sugar
(9 g) instant dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons
(6 g) fine sea salt
(115 g) warm water (around 100°F/38°C)
(115 g) whole milk, room temperature
(85 g) honey
(75 g) canola, vegetable, or other neutral oil
(113 g) large eggs, at room temperature
Egg wash (1 egg + 1 tablespoon water), as needed for finishing
In This Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, mix the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt to combine.
- Add the liquid ingredients (water, milk, honey, oil, and eggs), and continue to mix on low speed for 3 minutes. Raise the speed to medium and continue to mix for 5 minutes more.
- Transfer the dough to a large bowl lightly greased with non-stick spray. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until double in size, about 1 hour.
- To braid the bread, turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide it into three even pieces. Roll each piece into a log about 12 inches long. Pinch each piece together at the top to seal, leaving the bottom ends loose.
- Braid the bread just as you would strands of hair: Move the right hand piece to the middle, then the left hand piece to the middle -- and so on and so forth until all of the dough is braided.
- Transfer the loaf to a the prepared baking sheet, and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise for 30 to 45 minutes more.
- Brush the egg wash onto the loaf just before baking. Bake the loaf until deeply golden brown and fully baked through, 40 to 50 minutes. Cool before slicing and serving.
I always have three kinds of hot sauce in my purse. I have a soft spot for making people their favorite dessert, especially if it's wrapped in a pastry crust. My newest cookbook, The Book on Pie, came out on November 10th, 2020, and my pie merch collaboration with Food52 is out now too: https://food52.com/shop/merchants/manifest-food52/food52-x-erin-mcdowell