If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Scones that are moist, flavorful, and just a bit decadent (thanks to the chocolate chips & heavy cream)... ...perfect for pairing with coffee on those Autumn and Winter mornings. Adapted from a Flo Braker recipe in the San Francisco Chronicle Cookbook Volume II —teafanatic
Makes 8 scones
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons dried candied ginger chips
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup canned pumpkin/pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar, for dusting the scones before baking
- Position the rack in the upper ⅓ of the oven and then preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Then mix in the sliced almonds, ginger chips and chocolate. chip. Set aside.
- In a 2nd large bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Add the almond extract and canned pumpkin and mix these ingredients into the whipped cream until it is a uniform orange in color.
- Fold the whipped cream/pumpkin mix into the dry ingredients until it forms a sticky mass of dough. (I often will need to finish mixing the dough by hand).
- Dust a work surface with flour, and then transfer the dough on the work prepared work surface. Kneed the dough a few times to shape it. Afterwards, dust your hands with more flour and shape the dough into a disk shape that is ~!/2 inch diameter.
- Cut the circle into 8 wedges, then separate the wedges over the surface of the baking sheet. With the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar, sprinkle over the tops of the scows.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35minutes, or until they are golden-brown color.