If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These tartlets are the ideal snack for a wine tasting gathering or a tasty vegetarian starter for a dinner party. —Elena Sbokou
- 6 medium red onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 60 grams butter
- 50 milliliters balsamic vinegar
- 100 grams haloumi cheese coarsely chopped
- 8 pieces short crust discs ( 3 inches diam.)
- sea salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Start by melting the butter in a medium skillet, add the onions and sprinkle them with the brown sugar. Add the balsamic vinegar , salt and pepper. Simmer the onions until they become light brown and quite sticky.
- Place each short pastry disc in a tartlet ramekin or tart pan, add a tablespoon of caramelised onion and then sprinkle with some fresh thyme leaves.
- Bake the tartlets for 30-40 minutes in a preheated oven at 170º C.
- When the pastry is ready and the onions bubbly, place some halloumi cheese on top of the tartlets and put them into the oven for 5-10 minutes. Add some more fresh thyme, fresh mint leaves and enjoy with a glass of cold beer!