If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
- 2 1/2 cups black eyed peas, dry
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-2 jalapenos, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups water
- 1 15 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sage, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Soak beans overnight in a large bowl covered with 3-4 inches of water, then drain.
- Over medium-high heat, cook bacon in a medium sized dutch oven until slightly crispy. Stir in onion, jalapeños, and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add black eyed peas, water, diced tomatoes, brown sugar, bay leaves, sage, and salt. Bring pot to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for an hour and a half, stirring occasionally. If at an hour there is still a lot of liquid remaining, remove cover and continue to cook. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans