This is a perfect recipe for vegetarian holiday meals. The creaminess of the roasted hazelnut with the sharpness of the parmesan and the slight bit of heat from the red pepper flakes make this simple side absolutely delicious. —Masha Moon
French Organic Green Beans
Roasted, Dry Hazelnuts
Red Pepper Flakes
Olive or Avocado Oil
Grated, Fresh Parmesan
In This Recipe
1. Heat up the olive or avocado oil on medium heat.
2. When the oil has heated, add the washed green beans to the sautee pan.
3. Add a dash of sea salt & red pepper flakes to the green beans.
4. Cover the pan while the green beans begin to sautee. Check back on them every 3-4 minutes so that they don't burn. Stir them around every 3-4 minutes, otherwise the sides will start burning. They should be done in about 10-15 minutes. You'll know they are done when they are browning and slightly tender but still green. If they look wilted and completely browned, they are over done.
5. Most hazelnuts are sold whole and unroasted. Grab another pan and place your hazelnuts on the pan on medium heat to roast them (you do not need oil on the pan to roast them). After about a 1-2 minutes, shake the pan to move the hazelnuts. They should be roasted after about 3-4 minutes. The point of roasting them is to release the flavours and oils in the nut. Make sure you don't burn them!
6. Either use a grinder, food processor, or you can be super old fashioned and use a meat hammer to break down the hazelnuts into smaller pieces. This is really just a quick pulse to get them to break down to half or a quarter of their original size.
7. At this point your green beans should be nice and sauteed. Turn the heat off, add the hazelnuts & parmesan and let it melt into the green beans. After it melts, gently fold it into the green beans.