Simple and delicious apple pie with a shortbread crust. Perfect for the holiday season!
Simple and delicious apple pie with a shortbread crust. Perfect for the holiday season!—Oh Sweet Day!
Makes: one 9-inch pie
cups all purpose flour
cup unsalted butter, room temp
cup powdered sugar
teaspoon vanilla extract
pieces granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cubed
tablespoons unsalted butter
cup brown sugar
tablespoons maple syrup
teaspoons ground cinnamon
In This Recipe
- To prepare crust, sift the flour and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- To prepare crust, sift the flour and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. Cream butter and powdered sugar in a bowl of a standing mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- Reduce the speed to low and beat in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Gather dough and form a dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to chill.
- To prepare apple filling, put apples, butter, sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon in a skillet. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apples are very soft and almost fall apart into a puree. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a pie pan with a removable bottom.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Line the prepared pan with the rolled dough. Leave a tiny overhand of dough. Use a small kitchen knife to trim the excess and to score the tops of the tart.
- Reroll the rest of the dough. Cut star-shaped doughs using a cookie cutter.
- Pour the cooled apple filling in the prepared pie dough. Cover with the stars.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until the crust is slightly brown on the edges.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.