- Makes one 9-inch pie
Simple and delicious apple pie with a shortbread crust. Perfect for the holiday season! —Oh Sweet Day!
What You'll Need
- Shortbread Curst
all purpose flour
unsalted butter, room temp
- Apple Filling
granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons
- To prepare crust, sift the flour and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- To prepare crust, sift the flour and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. Cream butter and powdered sugar in a bowl of a standing mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- Reduce the speed to low and beat in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Gather dough and form a dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to chill.
- To prepare apple filling, put apples, butter, sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon in a skillet. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apples are very soft and almost fall apart into a puree. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a pie pan with a removable bottom.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Line the prepared pan with the rolled dough. Leave a tiny overhand of dough. Use a small kitchen knife to trim the excess and to score the tops of the tart.
- Reroll the rest of the dough. Cut star-shaped doughs using a cookie cutter.
- Pour the cooled apple filling in the prepared pie dough. Cover with the stars.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until the crust is slightly brown on the edges.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.