Author Notes: A few weeks ago I was in charge of dinner and had absolutely no idea what to serve alongside rice. This recipe was borne of a fondness of my iron skillet and the looming deadline of an hour. —AelyaS
tablespoons olive oil
cup unsalted butter
skin-on chicken thighs and legs , four of each
medium yellow onion, finely sliced
cloves of garlic, peeled, quartered (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Set a skillet on the stove to medium heat
- While the skillet is warming, pat your chicken as dry as possible using kitchen roll/paper towel.
- If using garlic, add to the skillet after the onions
- The finished product should yield moist chicken swimming in a mixture of its own juices plus those of the onions.
- OPTIONAL: You can take it one step further and empty the softened caramelized onions, along with the juices and garlic into a blender. Blend on high till you see the mixture turn into a thick creamy sauce. Season to taste, or leave as is