Sweet cream panna cotta with seasonal sweet-sour pomegranate jelly and syrup.
Sweet cream panna cotta with seasonal sweet-sour pomegranate jelly and syrup.—FamilyStyle Food
cups unsweetened pomegranate juice
tablespoons granulated sugar
cup granulated sugar
cups heavy cream
cup powdered sugar
teaspoon fine sea salt
fresh pomegranate seeds, to garnish
In This Recipe
- Lightly coat 6 x 1/2-cup molds or ramekins with neutral-tasting oil.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of the gelatin over 2 teaspoons water in a small dish and let stand a few minutes to soften and dissolve
- Combine 1/4 cup of the pomegranate juice with the granulated sugar in a small saucepan; stir to dissolve sugar and heat just to a simmer. Stir in the gelatin mixture over low heat until it dissolves in the juice, then divide into the molds (about a scant tablespoon in each). Place the molds on a baking sheet and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
- Dissolve the remaining 2 teaspoos gelatin in a small dish with 1 tablespoon water.
- Heat the cream, confectioner's sugar and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Heat until very warm, but not boiling. Stir in the gelatin until it dissolves. Pour the cream through a fine strainer into a container with a pouring spout, such as a 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup. Set aside to cool completely.
- Pour the cream over the pomegranate jelly in the molds, dividing evenly. Cover gently with plastic wrap and replace in the refrigerator to chill and set, at least 4 hours.
- About an hour before serving, put the remaining 1 cup pomegranate juice in a small saucepan with the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Bring to a boil and continue cooking until reduced in volume by half (you should have 1/2 cup syrup); cool.
- To serve, dip the molds in very hot water for about 30 seconds (careful not to submerge). Run a small offset spatula or blade of a small, sharp knife around the edges of the panna cotta, then invert onto plates.
- Drizzle some pomegranate syrup over each, and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds