If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's soup season! My favorite time of year. During the fall and winter months there is usually either a Tupperware in the fridge or a freezer stocked full of it. So, to be perfectly honest, the butcher inspired me to make this. I ordered some chicken breast and ground chicken at the counter and he asked whether I was making chili. I was like, yes! Good idea. Chicken cubes and ground chicken. Yum.
So, I'm kicking off the soup season with this tasty chicken chili. The fresh tomatillos and lime juice give it a little extra kick that I think you'll all enjoy. —Brussels Sprouts for Breakfast
Makes 1 big pot
for the chili
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut into small cubes)
- 1/2 pound ground chicken breast
- 1/2 pound ground dark meat chicken
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 small cans or 1 large can diced green chilies
- 6 fresh tomatillos
- 2 15 oz. cans cannellini beans (drained)
- 8 cups homemade or low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 lime (juice)
- spices: cumin, coriander, green chili powder, dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- plain Greek yogurt
- fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- Start by charring the tomatillos. Pop the tomatillos onto a baking sheet and put under the broiler. Shake around a couple of times, most of the tomatillo skin is charred. Remove and pop into a blender. Puree until completely smooth.
- Get a soup pot out and heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add chicken cubes with good shake of cumin, coriander, green chili powder, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Use about 1/4 tsp of each, or a few shakes of the spice jar. Let cook for about 6 minutes until golden. Remove from heat to a plate and set aside.
- Lower heat just a bit and add a dash of olive oil. Add both ground meats to the pot and sprinkle with same spice mix, salt and pepper. Cook until meat is cooked through. Remove to plate with chicken cubes.
- Add a dash more olive oil if necessary and add onions. Let cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Next, add garlic, green chilies, pureed tomatillos, spice mix, salt and pepper. Let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add cannellini beans, chicken broth and squeeze half a lime in. Add a good amount of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Once simmering, taste the broth and adjust salt as necessary. Let chili simmer for about 30 minutes over low heat.
- Serve chili with fresh cilantro, a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.