- Makes about 3 dozen
Based on a Gourmet recipe, these are the absolute perfect cookie to dunk in your coffee or tea. They're simple, sweet, and incredibly hazelnutty, with a hint of orange and cinnamon to round things out. As with traditional biscotti recipes, this has no butter--the only fat in here comes from the hazelnuts themselves. Biscotti keep for ages in an airtight container, making these perfect for holiday gift-giving, or just to have on hand when guests come by. —ieatthepeach
1 1/2 cups
toasted, peeled hazelnuts, divided
cake flour OR 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour + 1/4 cup cornstarch
finely grated orange zest
almond extract or hazelnut liqueur
cold water, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350º F and place an oven rack in the middle position. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roughly chop the hazelnuts. Combine 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts and sugar in a food processor, and pulse until finely ground. Reserve the remaining chopped hazelnuts.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour (or flour and cornstarch), baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add the ground hazelnut and sugar mixture, and stir to combine. Beat in eggs, one at a time, followed by orange zest and extract or liqueur. Mix until a crumbly dough forms; if it’s too dry, add water, 1 tsp at a time, until it just comes together. Add the reserved chopped hazelnuts and gently knead them in with your hands.
- Turn the dough out onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Divide the dough in half, and shape each half into a flat log about 10 inches long by 2 inches wide by 1 inch thick. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the dough is set and opaque all the way through. Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack and let cool for about 10 minutes. Keep the oven on.
- Transfer the dough logs to a cutting board and discard the parchment paper. Using a serrated knife, carefully slice the logs crosswise, on a slight diagonal, into cookies about 1/2 inch thick. Lay the cookies flat on the now unlined baking sheet, about 1/2 inch apart. Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned on the bottom; flip and bake for another 10-12 minutes, or until golden and firm on both sides.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and place it on a cooling rack. Let the biscotti cool completely--at least 1 hour--before serving or storing them. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month. Serve the biscotti with coffee, tea, or hot chocolate for dipping.